14 Bad Habits That Could Burn Down Your House

House fires are more common than you may realize, with potential fire starters like light bulbs, laptops, and lint traps hiding in plain sight throughout your home, disguised as harmless, everyday necessities. Are you guilty of one of these bad habits that could burn your house down? Read on to find out.

Expanded View >
  1. Piling Up Dirty Rags

    Oily_rags

    A wood stain can bestow the perfect finishing touch on a DIY furniture project. But later on, that pile of oil-soaked rags you tossed in the corner could trigger the perfect storm: Left unattended, those rags are a very real fire hazard, as they could oxidize and spontaneously combust, causing a house fire. To dispose of oily rags properly, place them in a metal can that's been filled with water, and cover it with a tight-fitting lid, or lay them flat outside to dry. 


    Related: The Do's and Don'ts of Basement Storage

    fotosearch.com

  2. Misusing Electric Blankets

    Electric_blanket

    A warm and cozy electric blanket is a welcome comfort in the cold of winter, but it also poses a potential fire hazard if used improperly. Never allow pets to snuggle up on top, and don't pile extra covers over the electric blanket, because excessive heat buildup may lead to fire. Keep your electric blanket at its lowest setting, never bend the coils, and always turn it off in the morning.


    Related: 7 Reasons to Choose Zoned Cooling and Heating

    fotosearch.com

  3. Neglecting Appliance Recalls

    Recalledappliance

    During the last decade, home appliances caused an estimated 150,000 fires each year, and a significant number of these were caused by defective appliances. To keep on top of recalls and prevent disaster in your home, register your appliance with the manufacturer or go to www.recalls.gov to find out if any of your models are on the list.


    Related: Meet the Next Generation of High-Tech Kitchen Appliances

    fotosearch.com

  4. Lingering Dryer Lint

    Lint_trap

    We all know that emptying the lint screen increases your dryer’s efficiency, but did you know that lint is also flammable? Mixing excessive heat with lint buildup is a recipe for disaster. Clean the dryer vent and exhaust duct regularly, as well as the interior of the dryer frame, to clear away lint and clogs, and reduce the risk of fire.


    Related: 10 Laundry Room Storage Ideas That'll Knock Your Socks Off

    fotosearch.com

  5. Letting Your Laptop Overheat

    Laptop

    If you own a laptop, you know how hot it can get. When you leave your computer on your bed, couch, rug, or other soft, flammable surface, you run the risk of restricting airflow through the cooling vents, which can cause your laptop to overheat and possibly catch fire. To prevent fires, keep your laptop on a desk or table instead.


    Related: New & Notable - 10 High-Tech Gadgets to Make Housework Less Work

    fotosearch.com

  6. Choosing the Wrong Wattage

    Lightbulb

    If you've ever thought to yourself, "It's probably OK to use this 60-watt bulb in a 40-watt socket," you're not alone. You are, however, putting your home at risk. Installing a light bulb with a wattage that is too high for a lamp or light fixture is a leading cause of electrical fires. Always check the light fixture’s maximum wattage, and never go over the recommended rating.


    Related: Your Guide to Navigating the New World of Light Bulbs

    fotosearch.com

  7. Using Too Many Extension Cords

    Extension_cord

    Extension cords are meant to be a temporary response to a lack of electrical outlets, not a permanent solution. This is why: Connecting a large number of cords for a significant amount of time can cause an overload that leads to a short circuit—which could ignite a fire. If you need additional outlets, hire a qualified electrician to install them, and you'll avoid this problem altogether. 


    Related: 10 Smart Cord Management Solutions Under $50

    fotosearch.com

  8. Performing DIYs You're Not Qualified to Do

    Diy_projects

    Americans will spend about $200 billion this year fixing up their homes, and nearly a fifth of this expense will go toward DIY projects. But jobs involving electrical wiring, plumbing, and HVAC units should never be completed without a qualified professional, because gas leaks and electrical sparks resulting from improper installation are a common cause of house fires. Don't put your home and your family at risk by attempting these dangerous DIYs on your own—hire a licensed professional instead. 


    Related: 13 Home Improvements That Are Illegal to DIY

    fotosearch.com

  9. Disregarding Dust

    Dust

    Believe it or not, built-up dust can be a fire hazard if it collects in and around electronics, electrical sockets, and even floor heaters. By vacuuming on a regular basis, especially behind your electronics, you’ll significantly reduce the likelihood that particles of dust will catch fire due to prolonged exposure to heat sources.


    Related: 15 Remarkably Easy Ways to Create a Dust-Free Home

    fotosearch.com

  10. Storing Batteries Improperly

    9volt

    If you store 9-volt batteries in your kitchen junk drawer, you may be putting your home at risk. When loose batteries roll around with other metals, such as screws or paper clips, the two terminals could short out and generate enough heat to ignite nearby flammables. Put a piece of electrical tape over the terminals, or store the batteries in their original packaging to prevent this possibility. 


    Related: 12 Ways to Put Your Home on an Energy Diet

    fotosearch.com

  11. Ignoring Uninvited Guests

    Uses_for_old_tea_bags_-_repel_rodents

    Mice and other rodents like to gnaw on electrical wires to control the length of their teeth. Over time, they can remove the sheathing, leaving the wires exposed. Unfortunately, the electric current that travels through the wire generates heat, and in the absence of sheathing this could lead to sparks caused by short circuits, which in turn could ignite the surrounding surfaces. If you suspect a rodent infestation, call a professional exterminator immediately.


    Related: Pests, Be Gone! 10 Natural Ways to Make Your Home Critter-Free

    fotosearch.com

  12. Forgetting the Chimney Sweep

    Sweep_the_chimney

    Dead birds, raccoon nests, cracked mortar, and built-up creosote are all common causes of chimney fires. The National Fire Protection Association recommends scheduling a professional chimney sweep at least once a year to ensure the safe operation of the chimney. And when you're building a fire in your fireplace, always light it with an approved fire starter—never kerosene. The consequences could be disastrous.  


    Related: The 12 Fall Home Maintenance Tasks You Can't Ignore

    fotosearch.com

  13. Overlooking the Range Hood

    Range_hood

    While ovens and cooktops are the most common sources of kitchen fires, range hoods also pose a potential threat. Over time, grease that has built up on the vent hood filter can drip down onto the cooktop, possibly igniting a fire. From there, the flames could easily reach your cabinets, and before you know it, your kitchen could be consumed by fire. Don't let this happen to you! Regularly clean and maintain your range hood to keep your kitchen out of harm's way. 


    Related: How To - Clean Any Appliance

    fotosearch.com

  14. Arranging Furniture Unwisely

    Furniture

    If your furniture is too close to your wood stove, it could spontaneously ignite. Pyrolysis, a chemical decomposition of a combustible item, occurs when an object (say, a sofa) is continually exposed to a heat source (a wood stove) and eventually dries out. This leading yet seldom-considered cause of structural fires does not require a direct flame; all it takes is heat and time for ignition to occur.


    Related: Own Your Open Floor Plan with 8 Smart Design Tricks

    fotosearch.com

  • Favorites Flipboard Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email AddThis
SEE MORE IN
Major Systems

WHAT DO YOU NEED HELP WITH?

Don't Miss

x