I have a 1908 Edwardian flat that had a gas fireplace insert. It was really ugly looking so I decided to take it out. There was an unbelievable amount of dirt and other debris back there which I tried to clean out as best as possible. There is a weird bluefish black coating on the cement and brick which I didn't remove as it was sort of crumbling. Now the room smells awful like dirt and dust and I get a headache after 10 minutes in the room also is that asbestos on the back of the insert?
Please help! My fun DIY project is now making my little flat barely livable. I'm thinking about calling a chimney sweep to clean this out. Is this the right move?
You exposed yourself to asbestos and carbon monoxide and other carcinogens and turning a living space into a sick building syndrome
Way to go
11:40PM | 06/05/14
Thanks for the post. As I know what a sick building is, that was super helpful. The question is how to fix the situation now. A contractor friend removed the insert and disposed of it properly per ca's stringent regulations.. He doesn't believe the weird plaster has asbestos in it though the flourescent blue paint was probably used as a fire retardant and likely has lead in it. Do you have any experience in flourescent blue paint from the early 1900's. I wanted to expose the brickwork but now im thinking to just close the space up really tight.
04:32PM | 09/07/15
Can someone help me determine if there is asbestos on either the back of the insert or the space in which the insert goes? Thanks. #help me
04:34PM | 09/07/15
Here is where the insert goes. Thanks for your help. firstname.lastname@example.org