07:25AM | 01/04/02
Member Since: 01/03/02
2 lifetime posts
The drain line from our cast iron tub is lead and is brazed (?) to the large 90 that connects the toilet to the main stack. The tub drain has a dip in it and does not have a trap. I would like to replace the lead pipe with PVC but don't want to touch the tub drain- toilet 90 connection (the brazed part). Question #1: Can I cut the lead pipe at the braze and connect a new PVC line (to go to the tub) with a fernco?
Question #2: Do I make a P-trap with individual PVC fittings or can I buy a P-trap. My local home store has P-traps for sinks but nothing labelled specifically for tubs.
Sorry for the length-hope I explained the problems. Thanks


10:21AM | 01/04/02
Member Since: 11/16/01
301 lifetime posts
Dear Jayjay,
First of all one should not connect a Fernco coupling to a lead pipe. It is simply too soft. If you know how to solder, you can fix this yourself. However, the easiest way is to remove the lead right to the cast iron and install your Fernco coupling and run PVC from there. Second, yes you can purchase a P-trap all put together. Also, lead pipes have been around since the 1800's and any lead setup is probably rotten by now, hence, do not clamp it. My best suggestion is to call an old plumber. The newer guys just do not have the experience with lead. Wiping a lead joint is not on most of the plumbers tests any more. Also you're probably not vented as per existing code. Spend the cash and have it done right.
If you need more info, holler back.


03:42PM | 01/07/02
Member Since: 01/03/02
2 lifetime posts
Iceman, thanks. jay
Click to reply button
Inspiration banner


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button

To test the boundaries of small-footprint living, interior designer Jessica Helgerson moved her family to a 540-square-foo... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled mudroom will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat ... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... This roomy boot tray made from punched metal stands up to all the elements. Station it in your mudroom or at your back doo... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... FLOR tiles are an affordable way to customize a carpeted floor covering for any space. Make anything from runners to wall-... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Salvaged boards in varying widths and colors make up the dramatic accent wall in this attic space. The high-gloss white of... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... First dress up your metal shelves with a coat of paint in an accent color that complements your kitchen decor. Then arrang... Dark wood shelving and a matching upholstered bench keep this closet sleek and refined. The large window brightens the sub...
Follow banner a
Newsletter icon Flipboard glossy Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss icon