Latest Discussions : Plumbing


07:31AM | 05/06/03
Member Since: 02/12/03
19 lifetime posts
We're in the middle of major renovations and seem to be stuck in the middle of a minor dispute between our contractor and plumbing subcontractor.

There is a run of DWV pipes (pvc) down to the main sewer tie-in in our basement. In two places along the run, the T intersection connectors have incoming pipe (in other words, where the drain from the toilet or the sink connects to the run) is turned into the down pipe flow. I'm not sure that makes sense so I'll try another way for clarity. There are a number of T connectors along the run which have a curved component. The plumbing subcontractor says the curved part should be toward the downpipe flow, but the contractor says it doesn't really matter.

Who is right? Or are they both right?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

plumber Tom

07:42PM | 05/11/03
Member Since: 05/10/03
801 lifetime posts
Your plumber is correct. These connections should be wye's, not tee's. Tee's placed on their "backs" are illegal in most codes. A wye and a 45 is commonly called a "combo" The direction of the wye is alway's determined by the waste flow. So they actually can be installed backwards.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button