Latest Discussions : Plumbing


04:59AM | 02/15/08
Member Since: 07/11/01
7 lifetime posts
I am renewing the fixtures on a 2nd floor bathtub with no easy access to the area beneath the tub drain. The present setup has a toggle fitting at the overfloor to open/close the drain. This has never worked very well. I would like to replace it with a simple one where you pull up a knob right at the drain itself. I am wondering if there are any retrofit type drain screens that work this way such that you don't have to remove the threaded drain flange itself. I can remove the top screen but I hesitate trying to remove the flange.


12:34PM | 02/15/08
Member Since: 07/22/04
649 lifetime posts
it's called a tip toe tub drain stopper.


02:59PM | 02/18/08
Member Since: 02/08/08
2 lifetime posts
Tiptoes and pullups often have a larger screw bolt. This screw bolt must be the same size as the screw hole in the center of your bath tub drain flange. If not, you will need to remove the flange with a spud wrench or drain tool. They do sell retrofits for different bath shoe drain sizes(the female fitting under the tub). The risks are breaking the bath shoe off of the waste and overflow tee. With limited or no access, replacing the drain flange can be tricky because you have no way of knowing or seeing if your new flange is leaking or not until it causes damage in the ceiling downstairs. Tip: If you are able to get the flange off safely, there's a black rubber gasket that needs to be removed. Clean all the surfaces the best you can. With your new flange and gasket, put silicone around your flange lip instead of plumber's putty. This is as good as it gets without opening the ceiling or the wall behind the tub and replacing the entire waste and overflow assembly. Hope this helps. P.S. If the cross members break or are gone in your drain flange, write back.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button