Latest Discussions : Miscellaneous

cathyhaley

10:45PM | 02/01/05
Member Since: 02/01/05
2 lifetime posts
We live in a 1960's ranch with a daylight basement. The bedrooms are above the garage and sometimes garage smells come up into the rooms. This occurs mainly when my husband has been tinkering with cars down there, but I worry about the fumes from gas and exhaust coming into the house. The ceiling in the garage is insulated, but no dry wall. What would you recommend to help fix this problem? Thanks

tomh

06:39AM | 02/02/05
Member Since: 07/01/03
549 lifetime posts
You do have a very hazardous and non-compliant situation. You must have a fire-rated barrier between occupied spaces and a garage. I recommend that you install 5/8 fire rated Type- x drywall on the ceiling and properly tape and seal all joints. Walls in the garage should be drywalled and/or fire blocked to comply with code. Insulating the garage walls will prevent fumes from migrating up the wall and along the joists in supporting the bedrooms. It also helps keep the space upstairs warmer.

If solvents are being used in the garage, or vehicles operated, adequate ventilation is essential. Work with the door opened to vent fumes, or use appropriate fume ventilation equipment and ducts.

NOTE! If you smell fumes from the work in the garage, that means air is freely traveling between the spaces. Fire will also do the same thing and spread very quickly. Do not wait to start this important project. If you need motivation to get the project started, impose a ban all of your husband's work in the garage involving solvents, gasoline or operation of vehicles until this project is complete. Please follow up with any questions.


Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button

Anonymous

Post new button or Login button
Register