Latest Discussions : Miscellaneous


11:45AM | 06/20/08
Member Since: 06/19/08
1 lifetime posts
Two weeks ago, I took out some drywall in my 1950s brick rambler that had mold on about 3' by 3' of the panel. I thought I could get a better look to see how the water came in and how bad the mold was. When I put the hole in the wall, blown-in insulation came pouring out of the wall. I should have researched what type it was but instead I scooped the pile into a few garbage bags and vacuumed the rest. (I had a cheap home depot mask on for all of this) After a few days, I was looking at stuff online and it looked like my insulation was vermiculite. I got it tested and found out that it was positive for a trace of asbestos--the lab said less than 1%.

Does the less than 1% number mean that it wasn't a high concentration of asbestos or is that all it would normally be in vermiculite?

Since I already, regretably, cleaned and vacuumed the area is it worth having some pros come in and pull up the carpets in the house and clean everything?

I didn't do the clean up until a few days after putting the hole in the wall and I am wondering if the AC unit (which was on) could have transferred asbestos dust elsewhere in the house.


07:07AM | 10/06/08
Member Since: 10/05/08
1 lifetime posts
Get someone in to inspect the area asap. You have to use a special vaccuum to get the fibers, which are smaller than human hairs. If you vaccuumed, you probably released the fibers into the air, where they do the most harm. 1% isn't low, the air fibers could have been very high at the time you exposed yourself. What is done is done, hopefully the exposure didn't harm you, but make sure that you and others are safe now by getting a certified inspector in there to do some tests to determine what needs to be cleaned up professionally.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button