We thought maybe cleaning the chimney because we don't know when it was done last, but that doesn't seem to make sense because we're not actually using it.
We're also thinking about converting it back to wood. Any thoughts on this?
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
Hi, I have the same problem with my fireplace insert. I haven't corrected it yet, however I believe the problem to be that the exhaust pipe diameter up through the chimney is too big for the unit we are using. I also have 2 90 degree elbows in the exhaust to get it to the back of the hearth and up the chimney.
If your exhaust pipe diameter is too big then the gases flowing out will cool too quickly and not escape out but rather down back in to your house. Any type of bend in the pipe will also slow the gases down allowing them to cool down faster and back down.
The fireplace insert I am currently using was moved up from the basement with a 3" exhaust (where it worked fine) to the main floor where there is a 4" exhaust with 2 elbows. My solution, if correct, will be to move the insert back downstairs and purchase a new one with a 4" exhaust for upstairs.
Hope this helps!
[This message has been edited by Curly (edited November 14, 2002).]
7. Not Recommended
In addition to knowing what to look for in an energy-efficient gas fireplace, it is important to know what is not recommended. In the case of gas logs, ceramic logs with gas burners are placed directly into an existing wood fireplace to give the effect of a burning fire. These gas logs provide no real heat to the house and are essentially a waste of energy and money, as well as a potential source of pollutants, although they can provide an attractive fire.
Gas logs can also cause venting system problems, particularly in colder regions. This is primarily because wood fireplace chimneys are not designed to handle the low-temperature, low-flow, high-moisture flue gases generated by a gas fire. If a wood fireplace chimney is not relined to accommodate these gases, the chances of flue gas condensation and chimney deterioration are high. As well, if the fireplace is on an outside wall, there is a risk that the gas burners will not generate enough heat to create a good draft. Under these conditions, the house can become a better chimney than the chimney itself (see "The house as a chimney"), disrupting the flame and drawing carbon monoxide and other combustion products back into the living area.
8. What to Avoid
A type of gas fireplace to avoid in Canadian housing-the vent-free gas fireplace-is available in the United States. As the name implies, these units do not vent to the outdoors; all the combustion gases (including carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides and large amounts of water vapour) are released directly into the house. These fireplaces can cause serious indoor air quality and moisture problems, particularly in airtight Canadian homes. They are not approved for use in Canada.
2. when starting your logs the first time in the season you will also have to burn off the logs for any dust or hair from animals unless you clean them first or just burn it off and open window.
3. Also you will also get a burned gas smell that will go through the house so i recommend open up door or window nearest to fireplace to let that smell out then should be fine but this will happen everytime you light your logs.
4. if you are on propane and your tank is lower than 15% you will be burning off oderant in the gas and that may stay until you get your tank filled..
5. If you have painted or have used chemicals in your house you will also get an odor until the logs have burned up all of the chemical odor in the house because vent-free logs get there air from the inside of the house. You can open up your damper as well until all odor is burned up or open up a nearby window or door until burned off. I like to keep a window open nearby alittle anyway so just a habit I got into.
I have a gas log set myself so when I turn it on I open door or window
Here is the Link of the YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/jIqpBwB-jYI