Latest Discussions : Electrical & Lighting


08:02AM | 04/14/05
Member Since: 04/13/05
9 lifetime posts
Ok, before i trek on this DIY I want to know how easy and feasible this will be to accomplish.

I am building a deck in the back yard with a spa... I will probably need a 220 but my question is, how will I be able to hook the line to the back of the house when the fuse box is in the front of the house?

where and how could I run this and will this be something I could do by myself of shoudl I call in a professional? if I need to answer more questions please let me know...

have fun always

Jim D

12:56AM | 04/15/05
Member Since: 01/06/01
342 lifetime posts
Christian15213 - hi, the last house I rented had an outdoor spa. The builder ran the 220V line from the main fuse box down and under the house via the crawl space. At the back of the house, the line came out through the foundation wall (above ground) and was run under the porch (accessible - but a low crawl!) and decking to the spa. The entire run was accessible and was never buried. There was a manual disconnect there for the 220V - it looked like a T-handle. And, yes - you'll definitely need 220V as the heater in the spa will use it while the pump will only need 110V.

I'm not an electrician and what I've described may not be current for code; the house was 15 years old and the spa was put in when the house was built. From your description and your post in the Decks area, it sounds like you'll end up having to bury your wire run at some point from the house to your deck, so that will dictate the type of cable/wire you use. You'll have to determine what your local code is for the depth you'll have to bury the cable as well. Also, the total length of the cable run will dictate what size cable you use - the longer the run, the heavier the wire gauge you'll need to be sure you have a reliable voltage out at the spa.

So - if you can post back with details like where you live (city/state), the probable distance of the wire run, and confirm whether or not you'll have to bury it for the distance between your house and the spa's location, one of the expert electricians can give you some answers that'll help you decide if this is a job you can handle. Regards! Jim D/West Point, VA


05:34PM | 05/04/05
Member Since: 05/03/05
79 lifetime posts
If you don't know what you are doing, call a licensed electrician.

Most spas require 50Amp, 120/240Volt GF circuits.

If you do it wrong, you and somebody else can be killed!

Water and electricity don't mix.

Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply choose button


Post new button or Login button