I have a house with four smoke alarms all interconnected together. Each smoke alarm is hard wired and also has a battery backup. I have recently replaced to batteries in the alarms and when I connected the fourth alarm, they all start sounding. With three connected, it's not an issue but as soon as I connect the fourth, all tell breaks loose.
Now, I have swapped the smoke alarms around and it doesn't matter which alarm I use, it's always the same location that causes the problem.
I have then used a fluke meter to take a reading across the live and neutral wires. If the positive lead is connected to the live, and the common lead is connected to the neutral, then it will set off the other alarms. Now here's the weird bit, if I reverse my test leads so that the common is connected to the live wire, and the positive lead is connected to the neutral, then the alarms do not sound......
The reading in both cases on the fluke meter is 240v, but I don't understand why one way would trigger the alarm.
Over to anyone who can help......
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs