Our 2 floor house has 7 smoke alarms originally installed 15 years ago. We keep the batteries updated at the Daylight time changes, even though we use the alkaline Duracells. My problem is not the chirping, the alarms are in full on alarm mode periodically with no smoke that can be seen or smelled. I finally noticed a recurring pattern in the alarms and I am wondering if that is an error code identifying the source of the issue?
Since there is another smoke alarm and CO sensor system installed by a security company, that company suggested cleaning the units, which I did with a hair dryer (on cool; I don't have compressed air cans). A few times, the alarm would sound for a little time, and then stop on its own. Last night at 10:30 PM, it sounded and stayed on for a full 15 mins of earsplitting alarm while I frantically searched for smoke, dust, or anything else that might have set them off. Nothing!!
All I could do was use the hair dryer on them all and try to get some sleep and call the installer in the AM.
No such luck. The installer is not in business anymore, so we can't get them to service the system, and I'm working on getting the house contractor to provide the name of the current installer.
Also, as luck would have it, the alarms sounded 3 times during the early morning hours, from 4-5:30 AM, at about 20 minute intervals, lasting for about 9 alarms and then shutting the selves off. I say 9 alarms because they came in repeating groups of 3.
I'm wondering if that is an error code that could identify the source of the issue?
- 7 Types of Homeowners Who Can Benefit from a Backyard Shed
- 50 Products for Quick Fixes Around the House
- How To: Keep Cool When You're Working Outside
- 21 Money-Saving Tricks Every Homeowner Needs to Know
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 19 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects